Saint Ann Catholic Church, originally called Saint Peter’s Mission,
was located on the second floor of a hardware store at the corner of 49th and Charlotte Avenue. The first Mass was celebrated in this hall in October, 1917, with 115 Catholics present, and on Sunday, November 1, 1917, the First Communion class received the Blessed Sacrament. At the same time Mr. Joseph Perry, Sr., received his First Holy Communion, having the honor of being the first convert in the new mission.
However, the number of Catholics located in West Nashville increased and the parishioners wanted to establish a new parish in order that they might have a church and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass every Sunday, instead of once a month.
In 1921, with the help of the Diocese of Nashville, the church moved to its present location at 51st and Charlotte Avenue and changed the name to Saint Ann Catholic Church.
With the move in 1921, Saint Ann also established one of the oldest diocesan schools in the Diocese of Nashville. The first school year began with 48 students and was staffed by the Sisters of Mercy until 1992. The current rectory and school building were both built in 1947, and have seen countless renovations since then.
A new church building was built in 1939 and another (the current church) in 1960 to accommodate the growing parish. Neidert Hall gymnasium was added in 1965. Saint Ann’s later purchased neighboring homes that were torn down to create playgrounds and school fields. The church had a major renovation in 1993. A Parish Life Center was built and opened in 1998 for music, art and a wide variety of other school and parish activities. This became the fifth building on Saint Ann Catholic Community's campus.
Over the years great care has been shown to maintain the Saint Ann Catholic Community campus. Most notable of recent years has been the gradual installation of an extensive pipe organ that is played during many Church services.
Saint Ann Catholic Community is grateful to the many forefathers more than 98 years ago who sparked the faith filled flame that continues to burn bright on Charlotte Avenue and in the hearts of all the parishioners.